Tuesday, November 18, 2008

What's On Your Menu?

Thanksgiving day is coming up! Louis and I are hosting Thanksgiving for the first time, and I've been trying to finalize our menu all weekend. Here is what we have so far:

Appetizers
Hummus dip and pita chips
Chips and dip
Veggie platter
Fall sugar cookies

Dinner
Turkey with cornbread stuffing
Sausage and apple stuffing (mom's bringing it)
Green bean casserole (mom)
Baby carrots with mango chutney sauce
My grandma Arlene's pineapple sweet potatoes
Buttermilk mashed potatoes with cheddar and sour cream
Mexican rice and beans (mother in law bringing it, of course)
Corn
Cranberry sauce
Cranberry relish (Grandma Sally's bringing it)
Cranberry jello salad (Grandma's friend Mayme is bringing it)
Cornbread muffins and Cranberry bran muffins (or maybe pumpkin muffins? Not sure yet)
Sourdough rolls

Dessert!
Pumpkin pie (mother in law)
Grandma Arlene's Pumpkin dessert (pumpkin pie filling topped with yellow cake mix, butter and walnuts. MMMM)
Cheesecake (auntie Linda's bringing it)
My sister in law's famous from scratch apple pie
Pumpkin ice cream, vanilla ice cream

What do you think? Am I missing anything? Too much of something? What are your family favorites? I want this holiday to be PERFECT!! And for those of you that know me well, I love to cook!!!

On Sunday we're having our first Thanksgiving dinner with my dad's side of the family since my Grandma Arlene passed away this past March. I find myself missing her more and more lately... thinking to this time last year, when we had our final Thanksgiving together. My parents and I went to her house the night before to help her get ready. Everyone thought I was going into labor because my back went out, and I could barely move at all. My grandma lent me her walker and her cane, and for the first time in a long time, my grandparents were way more mobile than I was! I was crying from the pain. It hurt to sit, it hurt to stand. However, the dinner was amazing... I can't believe that I will never again taste her famous stuffing. My mom has her recipe and is in charge of making the turkey and stuffing this weekend, but there is nothing like your grandmother's cooking. I can't wait to make some of her recipes. My contribution to the dinner on Sunday is her "sinful" sweet potatoes, smothered with brown sugar and butter; her cranberry jello salad (different from the one being brought to my dinner); and the pumpkin dessert. I have made the last two things for the past few years, so I have them under my belt.

That's about all for now... let me know your imput on my Thanksgiving menu! Also, if you have any special Thanksgiving traditions, I'd like to hear those, too. I want to make Jeremiah's first Thanksgiving (and our first time playing host!) as special as possible.


No comments: