Sunday, November 16, 2008

Snow at Disneyland


Yesterday my beautiful best friend, Anna, and I had a VERY overdue best friends ONLY day at Disneyland! The last time we went, just the two of us, was when we were in 8th grade. Yeah, I did go with her in April, but our other friend, Gena was with us as well. Jeremiah stayed with my parents all day and overnight yesterday, and even had his first (pizza-less) trip to Chuck E Cheese! It was the most perfect trip at Disneyland that I have EVER EVER had, but one that was full of many ironies and surprises. Irony #1- take a peek at this picture- me in a tank top in 90 degree weather in front of a fully decked Christmas tree. I don't know why Anna was wearing her sweater; it was hot. Very hot.

First thing we did was have breakfast on Main Street with Alan, Anna's boyfriend. He only stayed long enough to let us in with his employee pass and eat breakfast with us (an
d came back to eat dinner with us so we could use his employee discount). By the time we were done with breakfast, it was around 9:30 a.m. The park had been open for an hour and a half... and we were able to literally walk onto Star Tours, our first ride of the day, without even having to listen to the safety spiel. The ONLY time I have ever walked onto a Disney ride, aside from in high school orchestra performances there on slightly rainy days, was when the park JUST opened and everyone dashes to rides. Right after that, we went over to Space Mountain, only having to wait at most 10 minutes. We went on twice. It seemed like it was going to be an amazing day there with hardly any crowds. We were right! The longest lines we waited in were around 20 minutes- the new Toy Story Mania ride at California Adventure (my new favorite ride), Soarin Over California, and Peter Pan.

Anyway, after we did the rides in Tomorrowland (m
inus Nemo and Autopia), we headed over to California Adventure. An hour after we got there, we noticed that it was SNOWING. Yes folks, it was snowing at Disneyland. But it wasn't the kind of snow that you get all bundled up with sweaters and scarves and build snowmans with, or throw a snowball at your husband. It was the kind made out of ashes from burning houses. Big chunks of ash and soot were covering us, getting into our eyes and mouth. It was nasty. Then, thinking we were at California Adventure much longer than we thought, we looked at our watches to discover that the sun appeared to be setting at a mere 1:00 p.m. Take a look at this sky: (and the empty harbor by the California Screamin Coaster)

Yes, the air was filthy and disgusting. It might not have been the smartest idea to stay outside in it all day, but we couldn't bear to leave. It's very rare now that I'm a mommy for us to get an entire day to spend together, and at both of our favorite place in the world on top of that! My lips are soooooo chapped, and I think I'm a little dehydrated, but it was worth it. I don't know if it was because of the air, or the bad economy, or it being an off-weekend (or all three!) but the "crowds" there were very very manageable. I couldn't even tell you if there has ever been a time when we got front-row seats for Fantasmic right when it began! They were wayy off to the side, by Thunder Mountain, but we could see everything. Or when we were leaving at 11:00 at night to a non-packed Main Street and didn't have to wait line for the tram. Or.... when 9:00 rolled around and we were scouring the map (which we NEVER use) to see what we should do next, because we had done all the major things, some twice, and then some. So we decided to go on some Fantasyland rides that we normally don't ever get a chance to go on because our time at Disneyland is usually spent waiting in line for the bigger, priority rides. Although now that I'm a mommy, and taking my son for the very first time in just two weeks, those rides will be standard now. We had such fun on the teacups, Peter Pan, Dumbo, and Alice in Wonderland!

Oh... and I finally, finally convinced Louis that my getting a
Disneyland season pass is not the most horrible thing i the world that I could be doing. It is like pulling teeth to get him to even take me to Disneyland (even though we almost always get in free through a friend or his grandpa), and when we're there, he can be rather like a Scrooge. Or the Matterhorn snowman. He hates crowds. He hates Winnie the Pooh. He hates how money-hungry Disneyland is, especially since he used to work there. Anyway, my good friend Michelle and I want to get passes so that we can take our sons, who are just a month and a half apart, on regular playdates there. Seeing as we live 40 minutes away from each other (she lives in Chino Hills and was actually evacuated last night... all is well though!), and Disneyland is right in the middle. I'm not going to get Louis one, because he would only be able to go on Sundays (except for Jeremiah's bday; he would make an exception for that!!), but for the few times that he would be able (and willing) to go, we can just get his grandpa to sign us in. He obviously can't do that very often, and we feel bad asking except for special occasions.

Anyway, here is just one more pic of the two of us; I let Anna take the majority of them, since she gets quite camera-happy at Disneyland, just like a tourist (even though she goes several times a year!!) and it was easier just having one camera out. I'll post more as soon as I get them from her!! (hint hint best friend!) It was the perfect day with the perfect best friend! I can't wait for us to do it again! I think we may be making this an annual tradition; although when my kids get a little older, we're going to have to tell them that Mommy is going "shopping" or something with Auntie Anna! I'd feel way guilty if they knew where I was going without them. At least Jeremiah doesn't know that Disneyland even exists right now; let alone what he is missing. Goodnight!


No comments: