Saturday, November 22, 2008

Jeremiah's party is going down the toilet...

Before I get into today's "peek into the past," I have just a smidge of ranting to do. Back in September, I saw an ad on Craigslist for a very reasonably priced birthday party entertainer. "Steve" comes dressed to your party as a clown or superhero, helps with the games and stuff, and also does puppet shows, including SESAME STREET puppet shows (the theme of our party). Of course, we booked him on the spot. Everything seemed great- his prices, how promptly he responded to all my emails (18 total between then and now) and he promised each time that he would be there.

Or so I thought.

Anyway, so Thursday night I called to confirm everything with him, and here's what the jerk told me: He booked another party at the same time as mine, in a city about 20 min away (I'm in whittier, the other party in Cerritos). It was a two hour party, and basically he had to do that one because HE WAS MAKING MORE MONEY. Oh yeah, and "his wife couldn't dress up as Spiderman, so he had to be there for the other party." He told me that he could make it to my party at 3:00 (our start time was noon; I wanted him there at one b/c party was ending around 2:30). He told me he could MAYBE be there right at noon, do the gig and leave, but I told him no; not everyone is on time to a party. He wouldn't work with me at all! Basically because I"m only hiring him for an hour, I get the boot. Here I am, a week before my party, with NO entertainment, and nobody is available to do a party this late in the game, even if I wanted to spend 300+ for a stupid puppet show, which I don't. I tried to talk to him about the moral side of things; I booked him first; this lady booked him just a week or two ago. If I hadn't called him up, I would have been waiting around for bozo to show up.

He pretty much told me that since he works out of his home, he has no contracts, and is able to do what he pleases, no matter who he screws over. In fact, that is exactly what he told me.


Yes, I was cursing at him over the phone (not very Christianlike, but he was PISSING ME OFF!). And I told him that I would be posting on Craigslist about what a scam-artist he is. He told me to go ahead.

He's lost at least 3 customers because of me! Sweet victory....

As if this isn't bad enough, there are SO many people that we were expecting to show up at our party who, for one reason or another, aren't able to make it, mostly family members, and our neighbors across the street, who have two grandchildren Jer's age. I understand that we are hosting Jeremiah's party on a holiday weekend (three days before his actual birthday) but some of the excuses we've been getting are really really lame. Don't even get me started on it. We already told our caterer that we would be having around 80 people, because everyone we invited were close family and friends (yes, we have big families and lots of close friends). We're down to around half of that, and I am just PRAYING that they will adjust the price of our contract accordingly to fit the new estimated guest list. We're getting a taquero- basically an all you can eat, made to order taco bar with rice, beans and all the taco condiments, and people to make the tacos and serve them.

And it MIGHT rain on Saturday. Our house isn't nearly big enough for that many people. If we have to go to Shakey's I'm going to die....

And... I just shared a soda with Louis, completely forgetting that he has an awful cold. Crap. At least Lindsey is coming over tonight, complete with pictures of my beautiful almost-sister trying on beautiful potential wedding dresses. I told April not to come because I don't want Jeremiah gsharing his wunny nowse with them (or them passing germs onto him!)

Anyway, one year ago today was not only Thanksgiving Day but my due date! Here's a look at what I wrote:
"Happy Thanksgiving!! (and DUE DATE!!)
November 22, 2007

Well I don't think the baby will be making it's grand entrance today... although I could be wrong! The turkey's in the oven, the dishes are ready to be heated, and my appetite is enormous. I think I'll be getting my Thanksgiving dinner this year... and hopefully a little bit of shopping in the morning!

I can't believe this day is finally here. The day I've been waiting for since Easter Sunday when I found out I was pregnant. It's my due date! It's only a matter of days (or hours... you never know) until I get to meet my little son or daughter. My wonderful family is definitely at the top of my "things I am thankful for" list!

1 comment:

Karen Beth said...

Oh, Erin! I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with planning the party. It sounds like you've had a terrible run of bad luck, but hopefully this is the end of it! I'm glad you posted about your entertainer. He doesn't deserve those customers if he's going to treat them poorly. I understand that entertainers are self-employed and have to earn a living, but geez--have some decency! I'll be praying that y'all will have good weather for the party, or at least a reasonable alternative. You're a beautiful and smart mommy, and I'm sure it will be an awesome party. :)