Saturday, March 21, 2009

My poor lil guy!

My lil man is sick =( Jeremiah woke up around 11:00 pm on Thursday night with chest congestion and the most heartbreaking whimper in his voice =( Thursday night was a long one for us- Jeremiah going back and forth from wanting to sleep in our bed to his crib, or just being held. However, around 3:30 am he finally conked out for good until 7:30 am. He woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed, running around playing with his toys, but still had that horrible raspy breathing and squeaky voice. So, off to the doctor we went! The doctor determined that Jeremiah has a small chest cold and prescribed him some amoxycillan. I think he's finally starting to feel better today, but he still sounds horrible. I hate seeing my son not feel well. It is heart breaking, knowing that beyond giving the prescribed medicine, some mommy TLC and a few prayers, there isn't much more you can do to make them comfortable.

However, after watching Jon Q. last night on TV and starting to read Multiple Blessings (the Jon and Kate Plus 8 book), I know that there are parents out there with even bigger worries about their children than chest congestion. Parents are worrying about whether or not their child will receive an organ donor in time for a transplant. About carrying their child as close to term as possible... where every day in gestation makes such a drastic difference in the quality of life their child(ren) will have once born. About wanting to mother their children but can't even hold their precious newborn because he or she is hooked up to machines intended to help them survive, and their tiny, frail bodies can't cope with human contact. I am truly blessed to never have known these kinds of motherly worries other than through watching it on TV or reading it in a book. If you haven't read Multiple Blessings: Surviving to Thriving with Twins and Sextuplets by Jon and Kate Gosslin, go pick up a copy. Even if you can't stand their TV show and think that Kate is a monster, go buy a copy. Kate has shown me how to truly give your problems up to the Lord and rely on Him for comfort, guidance and strength. Each chapter begins with a Bible verse, and throughout each chapter one thing is evident- God is her rock. Science and doctors can only do so much, and then there is God, the great physician- shepherd, comfortor, Father, rock. I only started reading the book last night but couldn't put it down. I'm over halfway through with it, and hope to have it finished by tomorrow.

In other news, my birthday celebration at Disneyland was amazing. I wanted to post some pictures, but I can't find the USB cord to upload them to my laptop. Louis and I had such fun together, more fun than we've had during any other Disneyland trip where it's just the two of us (Louis is known to be somewhat of a grump at Disneyland!) It was rather crowded there on Sunday, so we spent most of our time eating eating eating ... and eventually spending the afternoon taking in a few drinks! First a beer at the Grand Californian Hotel (my new favorite being Blue Moon), then at the ESPN Zone (a Bloody Mary for me, another beer for Louis-that I helped him polish off-followed by one shot of tequila each!). Oh, and one more Scooby Snack shot at this outdoor bar between the ESPN Zone and the Disneyland main entrance. Just enough alcohol to keep us "happy" yet not sloppy =) We had dinner at the Cafe Orlean's restraunt after a few more rides, then went over to California Adventure so Louis could have his first trip on the new Toy Story Mania ride. It's become one of my favorites, and is now Louis's all time favorite Disney ride. It's another one of those video games inside a ride. Louis and I get rather competitive with one another, and I was rather dissapointed that he managed to slaughter my score, even though I had gone on the ride a few times before. Oh yeah, and we never made it over to his friend's birthday party last Saturday. It just got way too late by the time his friends were done with their dinner at BJ's and I was exhausted.

Tonight I'm having a girls night out with my wonderful friends, a birthday tradition that I started last year for myself and fully intend to keep it up annually! We were going to cook dinner together at my house and then head off to Lucky Strike (a bowling alley for 21+ with billiards, a full bar, and DJ), but with Jeremiah being sick we're just going to go to Lucky Strike. I've been wanting to go there for some time but haven't had the chance. Louis's ex girlfriend is one of the managers there and was very kind in helping me plan this event, booking my party for me and giving me lots of advice and inside information on making it a wonderful evening =)

As for my list... I am proud to say that I have so far kept up with my daily obligations (vitamin taking and reading to Jeremiah) and weekly obligations (talking to Grandma on the phone- still have to call Grandpa today), and blogging. I have gotten started on my reading 20 new books task (Jon and Kate!) and am plugging along finishing "Bringing Up Boys." AND... as far as travel... Marissa and I are planning on going to visit Kappie and Steven next month in Sacramento! So that will take care of not only a new place to visit but the plane ride as well. AND... (i'm even more excited about this!) Louis and I are taking a child-less trip to Vegas in May! A distant relative is getting married there the week after my brother's wedding, and Louis offered to sing at the reception. The bride's father was my uncle Louie, and he and MY Louie would always sing kareoke together during his and my aunt Bette's California visits. Both are huge Frank Sinatra buffs. Uncle Louie (who is my grandmother's first cousin) passed away a few years ago and my aunt Bette now permanently resides in California with her son. She was CRYING when Louis offered to not only attend the wedding in Vegas (we've only met her daughter one time, for her engagement party in January during a visit from New York) but to sing as well, she was so touched. So that will take care of one of the child-less trips. I can't wait!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

Cara said...

Poor Jeremiah. I hope he starts feeling better soon! I feel your pain-my house is sick yet again. I'm glad you had such an awesome time for your birthday & way to go on your list!