Saturday, December 13, 2008

Oh, Christmas Tree!!

To me, it just doesn't feel like the holiday season until our Christmas tree is up. I LOVE Christmas trees! The way they look, both pre-decorated and decorated. The feel. The SMELL. Mmmm. I love roaming through Christmas tree lots in search of the perfect tree. And then the fun part- decorating! Louis and I, unfortunately, did not really enjoy decorating our first (and only) "very own" Christmas tree back in 2006, the first year we were married. We purchased the tree on his birthday (the 14th- TOMORROW!) but put off decorating it til the night of his big birthday bash at our apartment. Between me having to work at Target that morning, and running a million other errands for the party, we hastily threw the decorations on the tree, crabbed at each other a bit, until I finally relented and let him put our Star Wars C3PO ornament as our tree topper. We are going to buy our tree as soon as Louis finishes up at a service call (and when Jeremiah wakes up from his nap! Currently babbling himself to sleep). Tonight I fully intend to turn on some holiday music, light some candles and enjoy a romantic evening of decking my tree with my husband. And, if that wretched un-festive droid happens to make his way to the top of our tree again this year, then so be it. You live, you learn, you compromise.

Although I'm determined to find a tree topper on clearance after Christmas this year!

Jeremiah didn't really pay any attention to Michelle's Christmas tree during our playdate on Wednesday. Neither does Braden, who is just about the same age as Jeremiah. Their tree is in their living room, where they play most of the day. I'm crossing my fingers that Jeremiah's indifference to Christmas trees tides over to our house as well, because our tree is going in the exact same spot! The presents, on the other hand, will NOT be going under the tree until Santa comes on Christmas Eve. Lets just say that I do NOT want to risk having to wrap things twice!

So yes, tomorrow my wonderful husband turns 27 years old. It's such a reminder that we are getting older when we have to pause and think about how old we ourselves, our spouses and even our siblings are! Tomorrow morning I fully intend on letting Louis sleep in, even though it's technically my turn =). Then we're going to have breakfast at Jacks, his favorite diner by his new shop. Following this I am taking him to JC Pennys so he can use his present (gift card) and choose something nice to wear, then it's back home to relax and get ready for his family, my parents and *hopefully* my brother and Lindsey to come over. About a month ago, I tried out a recipe from a cookbook my grandma Arlene had given me (Easy meals with 6 ingredients or less). Louis absolutely LOVED the chicken enchiladas I made! He said they surpass my spaghetti and meatballs, which is his all-time favorite meal. Guess what we're having for dinner tomorrow night =) Finally a new dish to serve on his birthday! I swear, for a while it felt like every time we had his family over for dinner I would be making either spaghetti and meatballs or baked ziti, which is essentially spaghetti in the oven. Time for something new =)

Tomorrow is my wonderful cousin Rebecca's 15th birthday party. Her birthday is on the 17th. I am rather disappointed that I am not able to attend my *practically* "Little sister's" birthday party (mostly because I want to meet her boyfriend and give him my stamp of approval!!), but I promised her that she could spend a few days at our house during her Christmas break. She still hasn't gotten back to me on the dates, but I'm hoping that it will work out for next weekend. Our cousins Paul and Rayna are having their annual Christmas party, complete with taking their boat around Huntington Harbor (aka their backyard) to see the Christmas lights and I really want to take her. I know that she and her family wouldn't be able to go unless I take her. Woodland Hills is rather far from Huntington Beach, and with her dad's condition he wouldn't be up to the drive or the boat. Besides of how fun it always is, and what amazing food is always served, Rebecca has yet to meet 1 1/2 month old Sydney Ann! I haven't seen the cutie since she was 6 days old. I can't wait to give her another squeeze.

Well, I'm off to finish decorating my house! Yes, the decorations have been sitting on my dining room table for nearly a week. I'm halfway done now. Have a great weekend!

No comments: