Thursday, April 23, 2009

Vacation Part 1: Virginia and Washington DC


Okay okay I know I have been really bad about blogging lately! But to my defense we did just get back from our trip on Monday, and I have been busy babysitting Sydney since Tuesday, plus getting the house back in order and Jeremiah back on a routine. So blogging has taken a back burner!

Rather than do one huge entry about our trip, I will just blog about the first half of it right now- Virginia and Washington DC.

First of all I have to mention that I am SO PROUD of how well Jeremiah did on the flights! We were so blessed to be able to use his carseat the entire way to Baltimore, and from Baltimore to Phoenix. He was incredible. Of course there was some moments of fussing but it was NOTHING compared to what I thought might happen... or would have probably happened had he been forced to sit on our laps. So in all the flights were uneventful...as was our first night in Baltimore. By the time we got our rental car and made it to our hotel it was almost 6:00 pm and we had been on the go since 3:30 am. I was beat... but I still had to take Jeremiah to Target to get his diapers and food supply that I didn't want to lug. I was VERY pleasantly surprised with the 6 percent sales tax (vs the nearly 10 percent it is here now!) Went back to the hotel, ate dinner, watched Survivor and attemptd to go to sleep. Jeremiah would not have any of his play pen that night, so he crashed with us, falling asleep to some prison documentary. Don't ask why but we always wind up watching prison documentaries or Cops when we are on vacation. We don't plan on it; it just happens.

Friday- drove an hour and a half to Leesburg VA to my Uncle Ken (Dad's brother) and Aunt Jeannie's house. Pretty much stayed there the whole day; Louis had to work. I hung out w/ Aunt Jeannie and my cousin Kyle, explored their gorgeous condo and took Jeremiah on a walk.

Saturday- rain! We were going to go to Washington DC but obviously didn't want to go in the rain. So we went to the Air and Space Museum instead. I"ve been there before and yes it was just as boring this time around as last time, but Louis enjoyed it. Then the rain cleared up and we went shopping at the outlet mall w/ my aunt Jeannie. Truth be told I wanted some "adult" time w/ her but Louis insisted on tagging along. I left him to shop w/ Jeremiah and my husband went to town... not only for himself but for me as well so I can't complain =)My husband has stellar taste and I am always pleased w/ what he chooses for me =)

Sunday- Easter! Kyle took us to Washington DC and played tour guide w/ us since Uncle Ken and Aunt Jeannie had to work (they are managers at different Bed Bath and Beyonds). It was bitter cold but a beautiful day. I keep joking that Jeremiah's future home is going to be the White House as the first Mexican American president (or half Mexican American!) Out of all the things that we saw in Washington DC Louis's favorite was the bohemith (sp?) which was a huge sloth at the museum of Natural History. My favorite was still the WWII Memorial. I can't get over how proud of I feel to be an American citizen every time I go to Washington DC (this was my third trip) and stand in the monuments. I feel so small yet a part of something so big. Obama is like a celebrity over there; I can't even tell you how much memorabilia there is around town of him, including cookies w/ his name on them at Starbucks. There was NOTHING like that for Bush when I went five years ago! Then we went to dinner at Aunt Jeannie's sister's house.

Monday- Last day! Louis and my family all had to work, so I went to Mt. Vernon w/ Marissa, her friend Meghan and Meghan's adorable daughter who is Jeremiah's age. We ate at this nice restraunt there and tried their famous peanut soup, which pretty much tasted like warm peanut butter, but I liked it. Then we went on a tour of George Washington's mansion. I can't even begin to tell you how gorgeous the property is and how beautiful the Patomic river is! I didn't stay there very long because I wanted to be on the road in time to beat the awful traffic, so most of my visit to Mt. Vernon consisted of eating lunch and waiting in line to enter the mansion.

Tuesday morning- said goodbye to Aunt Jeannie and Uncle Ken to drive up to PA... will continue w/ that later =)

Sorry I'm not going into too much detail; I'm so exhausted right now. I went to Disneyland this evening w/ Michelle, Braden and Jeremiah. I needed to get out of the house; Louis is away with his mom in AZ for the weekend for some Mariachi festival. I'm lonely and completely freaked out about staying here overnight by myself. I swear I can't sleep if Louis isn't here. Luckily tomorrow night I"m staying w/ my mom, and Sat. he should be home. I"m putting most of my pictures into an album on Facebook, but for now enjoy the few that I posted on here. Goodnight!!

No comments: